Director of Energy Analytics
Locations: cQuant.io Inc. - 357 McCaslin Blvd, Louisville, CO 80027
About the Job
cQuant is seeking a Director of Energy Analytics to provide expertise in quantitative analytics for the wholesale electric power industry. This position will interface with our clients, our team of Energy Analysts, and our team of Quantitative Developers to help design, maintain, and enhance best-in-class analytical solutions for today’s rapidly evolving energy industry. It will serve as an important bridge between the market practitioners who use cQuant’s analytical solutions and those who develop and support them. The Director of Energy Analytics will help translate real-world business requirements into new analytical capabilities and will advise on how to use cQuant’s existing functionality to overcome real-world business challenges related to the energy transition.
cQuant is a fast-growing, cloud-native, Software as a Service platform that is revolutionizing the way energy companies access and use quantitative models to drive their businesses forward, from supporting the renewable transition to optimizing the traditional generation that enables it. cQuant’s analytical offerings are built specifically for energy companies and span a broad array of industry verticals including energy trading, electricity production (thermal, renewable, and storage), retail energy, gas procurement and transportation, risk management, portfolio optimization, and others.
If you are passionate about the energy industry and want to be at the forefront of the quantitative analytics that’s enabling the energy transition, we want to hear from you!
- Provide subject matter expertise in energy risk management, asset valuation, deal structuring, and/or quantitative modeling within cQuant's implementation projects, software pilot projects, and high-profile sales demonstrations as well as in various internally-facing contexts.
- Advise users on best practices for using the cQuant Analytics Platform to model complex deal structures, assets, or contracts, identifying innovative new applications of existing functionality to serve business needs where possible.
- Serve as a “knowledge bridge” between energy market practitioners (e.g., risk managers, asset/deal originators, energy traders, etc.) and quantitative modeling teams, facilitating the transfer of knowledge and expertise in both directions.
- Translate customer-supplied business requirements into detailed analytical specifications that can be implemented by cQuant’s quantitative development team.
- Become an expert in cQuant’s industry-leading energy analytics software platform and provide detailed methodological training, guidance, and discussion directly to cQuant’s users.
- Lead project teams to validate analytical enhancements by designing and performing targeted testing and verifying that updates satisfy analytical, business, and performance requirements.
- Provide mentorship and day-to-day task management/oversight to Energy Analyst team members, overseeing several as direct-report staff.
- Embrace a software development mindset by helping to communicate timelines and set client expectations for feature updates in a way that allows cQuant’s development team to successfully meet targets.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Deep experience in wholesale renewable energy and battery storage analytics and valuation including expert knowledge of power purchase agreements and associated contracting structures.
- Expertise in valuation and risk management approaches for thermal generation assets (e.g., natural gas combined cycle and peaking plants) including a detailed understanding of how various plant-specific operational characteristics and constraints drive value and risk.
- Deep knowledge of United States wholesale electricity markets including regional trends/dynamics and impacts on asset value and risk.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a consultative bent to advise clients on asset valuation, risk management, and portfolio optimization topics.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel for pivot tables/charts, ad hoc data analysis, and report-quality visualizations.
- Experience managing and mentoring junior team members within the context of both internal and external-facing projects.
- Demonstrated ability to operate either independently or within a close-knit team amid a fast-paced results-oriented professional environment.
- Familiarity with the use of R or Python for routine data “wrangling” and analysis is strongly preferred.
Education and Experience
- 8-10 years of energy industry experience in a risk management, asset valuation, deal structuring, or energy trading role.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in a quantitative discipline (mathematics, quantitative finance, economics, statistics, computer science, physics)
Salary and Benefits
- Salary Range: $130,000 - $175,000 depending on experience.
- Benefits include health/dental/vision insurance, generous paid time-off (PTO) policy, 3% 401(k) match, year-end bonus eligibility, and flexible remote work policy.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.